when you’ve been photographing everything, everywhere, all day
when you’ve been photographing everything, everywhere, all day
Fresh snow had just fallen, and the temperatures finished dropping to make sure that snow stayed put for Justin + Brittanie’s wedding day. All the girls buzzed around the salon having final touches of hair and makeup applied while the boys played card games, everyone commenting how they were “so incredibly excited about this day” and that they couldn’t believe it was finally here.
Every time the doors opened the smell of winter came wafting through the halls, only midwesterners with real winters in their genes will understand what that smells like. The snow crunched perfectly, the pine trees were flecked with white, and some freshly opened hand warmers were always in reach on this brisk January day.
Justin is laid back while Britt is precise and organized, he goes with the flow and she loves her structure, the two of them together are an incredible balance of what it means to love yourself and what it means to give yourself to another.
Justin, I don’t think you know just how long all of Britt’s girls have been waiting for someone like you to walk into her life; we couldn’t be happier with the man you are to her and the friend you are to us.
Britt, the words beauty + strength don’t even do you justice. You are someone I admire, for anything life throws at you two, I know you will always persevere. I’m constantly amazed by your attitude towards life and couldn’t be happier you found your forever person in Justin.
Be Well. Be Blessed. Have Babies.
One of Brittanie’s friends + Bridesmaid had this little heart sewn into her dress. How sweet + thoughtful!
They had a hot chocolate + coffee bar for guests to make their own mugs of deliciousness with….this is personally one of the best things I’ve ever seen executed so well!
With the new year comes new goals, new frames of mind, and new leaps and bounds you want to (and are going to) overcome, it’s inevitable: the New Year brings with it a freshness that wasn’t there before, a blank book of pages just waiting for your ideas to scrawl throughout. I personally don’t make resolutions, for a few reasons, but the main ones being:
1. It’s stressful, and that’s a lot of pressure to put on yourself – when it feels like you have to, it dwindles away the “want to” and excitement that started the idea in the first place
2. A resolution is quite literally, a finality of a matter or decision, to solve something etc etc. Maybe I just live my life in the right manner to which I don’t actually care to resolve much of anything….maybe a bottle of wine so I can resolve another one, but that’s about it.
3. It litters our heads with high hopes and delivers broken dreams. Sorry, but it’s the truth, take it from a girl that grew up in a household where the yearly resolution was to lose weight….then after three months of insane unhealthy dieting, everyone was back to their unhealthy habits and lifestyles….you catching my drift here?
New years resolutions are a total pitfall for me and a catch 22 to how my brain functions. Instead I set New Years goals, and I update them 2 – 4 times throughout the year, why? Well because I can, and because who doesn’t love pushing themselves – reaching a goal – then drafting new ones on top of that?! I don’t want to wait until the end of this year to resolute new things… we should be constantly pushing ourselves into a manner of bettering ourselves. So in lieu of a New Years resolution; here is my list of 2015 goals; I think my brain has decided that if I write them down where people can see them, I’m more likely to hold myself to accomplish them.
Whatever your New Years may bring you, always know that it’s never too late to be better than you want to be or braver than you thought you could be. Dream those dreams lover faces, and tackle your futures – they’re in your hands.
Peace, Love, and Tequila
1. Celebrate people as often as you can, not for what they have or what they can do for you, but because of who they are and how they are to you.
2. Learn more about and adapt a new skill set, it doesn’t have to do anything with photography – it just has to be something that makes you think about what you’re doing, how you’re doing it and what you could do to be better at it.
3. Practice not being so critical of ones self. I struggle with this, I’m my biggest and baddest critic (like literally there are days where I contemplate kicking my own ass because of something I could have done better) I need to be more forgiving and gentle with myself, it’s a hard one to come by but I need to start practicing, it’s self deprecating and jeopardizes all the good in my life for one bad thought.
4. Verbally love myself. What the ef? I know right? It sounds just as dumb when I say it out loud to myself, but I’m thinking that’s half the problem. Have you ever had a surprise girls night, date night, lonely night in where you got dressed up and indulged in rich food and libations only to constantly be worried about how you look or that what you’re wearing isn’t right or good enough or….exactly. That’s the stuff I’m talking about. The stuff that I think to myself when I don’t feel pretty or I’m plagued with the green eyed monster – that’s the stuff that needs to go, and be replaced with kind and loving words that make myself care for myself. It sounds crazy as shit but I say to myself every morning so far, “you are valuable, you have worth beyond your comprehension and no bad outfit, bad hair day or false statement will prove otherwise. Believe in what you have to offer the world, not what you can get from it.” <<I know, some real crazy cat lady shit right there, but you know what? It makes me feel better, and reminds me everyday to not only celebrate other people, but to reaffirm ones own worth.
5. Get uncomfortable. I want to continue to push myself this year in both my business and my craft. This past year I took it easy, I rode the easy train with a one way ticket to doomstown. When you get comfortable you get predictable and when you’re predictable, you’re boring. I know I can create great images for my clients, but I want to push the envelope a little more this year. And by that I mean I laced up my shit kickers and I’ll be kicking in the door of creativity for myself to flourish in. I’m looking at things with a fresh perspective and new light on. In the uncomfortability of the unknown we are forced to be brave and it is where we start to truly find ourselves.
Some not so serious goals:
Before I allow myself to ring in the new year, officially say goodbye to wedding season and hello to the regrowth period of business (read: slow season) I have to post my favorites of this past year. When I look at these photos, even though a good chunk of time has passed, I can still remember all the good feels of that day, the jitters, the gorgeous flowers, the bride and groom; and most importantly – their love for one another. I look at these moments that are now memories and they make me smile, I can remember why I took certain images and I can remember myself shooting with my heart for these, not giving a shit about rules and guidelines, but truly….deeply….caring about the images I was creating.
With each passing year I find growth in my shooting style and my business, I understand more and more of what it means to run your own business and different ways to shoot things but this year has been a big one for me on more than just the fundamentals. This year was the year I found growth within myself; I stopped caring what the rules were and what I was supposed to be doing, I started to care more about who I was and who my clients were to me.
Finally, I want to thank all of you! My kick ass clients, my lovely friends family and loved ones and all of you that have supported me and cheered me along the way while I navigated the choppy waters of owning and running my own business. It hasn’t always been easy but my god when I look at these images and am able to be a part of such a unique aspect of peoples’ wedding day – it is SO worth it. I thank you now and know that there isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t appreciate what you all have done for me by just being supportive.
As we ring in this new year, shed the bad, embrace the good, and carry on all the things that made you who you were this year. Scream sing your favorite songs tonight (including auld lang syne) and dance your faces off – enjoy ringing in the new year and whatever it means to you.
I have a secret affinity for flower girls. They make me smile every time and I love that pretty much every one of them has to have a mom run up and help them down the aisle because man when they hit that corner turn and see all the faces looking at them, they almost always panic, and I secretly kinda am in love with it
Some behind the scenes of me in action, creeping on my client’s the way I usually do.
A big thank you to ALL of my second shooters and assistants, to the photographers who have allowed me to second shoot for them and the wonderful opportunities of the amazing vendors I’m able to work alongside. But most of all, and I really do mean most of all, thank you to this guy….the half that makes me whole and the one to hold my hand through it all. Whether it be second shooting, assisting, holding my hand, getting Chinese food after almost every wedding (yes I eat two dinners after wedding days), buying me wine to come home to after a long wedding, keeping me sane through it all and loving me all the same. When I begin to doubt myself, he gently leans over, kisses me on the tip top of my head and reminds me that I’m talented and worthwhile and I matter to the world regardless of how overly critical I am of myself. Thank you Max for always keeping me together, I’d be shit without you, I love you.
I’ve known Em + James for a little over 2 years now and I have seriously sat in anticipation for the day I’d receive an email from Em informing me that they were expecting. I almost fell out of my chair the day it finally happened. I couldn’t be more excited for these two as they venture into parenthood together as I know they will be some of the most amazing parents out there. It’s not even in the sense of “one of those things you say to be polite to people” it quite literally is because being caring and compassionate and loving is just a part of who these two are, they’re amazing people, and parenthood is going to fit so naturally and look so damn good on them! Enjoy some images from Em + James maternity session, I couldn’t think of a better day to post this than on their 2 year wedding anniversaryHappy 2 years you two, thanks for having me along for all of your big life moments, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed capturing them.
Can’t wait to meet your little